Working closely with the Commercial Manager, jointly overseeing the development and management of the growing Quantity Surveying team alongside the existing Senior QS, and the responsibility for the delivery of all commercial live project tasks (see live project key deliverables) to ensure best value is being achieved across the board. Particular attention/ support must be given to the change procedure and submission of EOTs/ loss & expense claims where appropriate. Compile and present internal reporting to Commercial Manager and ensure processes and procedures are adhered to. The role will grow to support Pre-Construction with regards to the management and delivery of tender submissions, as tow of our Quantity Surveyors are also part-time estimators.
Primary Tasks and Duties
- Support the existing commercial team to deliver all live project deliverables, sharing the workload where the team are struggling to meet deadlines and maintain the high standards of work expected. Provide a level of approval which all QS’s must seek before submission of work above an agreed value (set guidelines will be run through).
- Oversee the production of monthly valuations, help manage change procedures, maintain regular and positive client liaison and feed all key commercial issues/ notes into the weekly Ops update sent to clients.
- Input into the production of all monthly CVRs/ weekly cash flows, assess, compile and present your jobs to Commercial Manager for approval. Upon receipt of monthly accounts, contribute to Board reports and Quarterly budgets.
- Review contracts whether as part of a tender or prior to entering into contract. Prepare summary of key issues that need raising with client for Commercial Manager/ Direct review. Performance/ Retention Bond procurement and release. In contract, brief Project Manager and delivery team of the key contract clauses and provide contractual advice to the team throughout where required, particularly with regards to the change procedure. Ensure that the client issues and maintains a document control register/ create one where unavailable, track and monitor all new document issued.
- Live job costing – ensure lead QS is updating the cost to complete and project risk/ opportunities register fortnightly on all projects they are responsible for. Once complete, analyse with QS, querying any departure from the original (or latest) C2C. Investigate, interrogate, eradicate/ recover from the client. Review resource levels with QS/ challenge where necessary (undertake fortnightly site visits to aid this).
- Once established within the Commercial role, play a key part in Pre-Construction including the review of tender submissions prior to issuing externally. You may also be asked to Project Manager a tender return* (this role will be clarified and is one that all Senior staff undertakes).
* Following receipt of a new tender notification email sent by Pre-Construction, take ownership of the delivery of this tender from here on out. Initially this will be attending the meetings and ensuring that Commercial meet their delivery requirements on time, whether this be delegated or owned actions. Get the contract review underway, review the tender master plan/ checklist to test what information is and isn’t available within the tender pack and raise any required RFI’s early. If volumisation is required, early engagement with the assigned estimator or CAD technician is crucial (tied in with the review of whether the appropriate levels drawings are available and in the right format).
Qualifications and Training
- Degree Level qualification or equivalent preferable.
- All aspects of Quantity Surveying role from tendering, pre and post contract administration to final accounting.
Skills and Abilities
- A good level of understanding of cost management systems and standard Microsoft packages especially excel.
- Knowledge and use of standard conditions of contract not limited to but including JCT & NEC.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels both verbally and in writing both client and internally, in additional negotiation skills are essential.