Keltbray, the UK’s leading specialist in construction engineering and infrastructure services, is delighted to announce that it has been awarded Gold accredited membership via The 5% Club’s 2023-24 Employer Audit Scheme. This award recognises our significant contribution to the continued development of all our Employees through “earn & learn” schemes such as Apprenticeships, Graduate Schemes and Sponsored Students Course Placements.
We are proud of our investment in our staff members, which is why we joined The 5% Club. The 5% Club is a dynamic movement of Employers all of whom are inspired to take positive action for increased, inclusive, and accessible workplace training for all. The 5% Club represents over 1.6 Million Employees from over 900 companies, 101,000 of whom are in “earn and learn” schemes. The Employer Audit is a unique scheme which validates the employers’ activities, explores their future plans and commitments, as well as examining their approaches to quality, social mobility, diversity and inclusion.
James Dawson, Head of Learning and Development at Keltbray said,
“Receiving Gold membership from The 5% Club is a significant milestone for Keltbray, reflecting our commitment to the continuous development of our colleagues. “
Gerry O’Rourke, Early Careers Manager at Keltbray added:
“Earning Gold membership with The 5% Club is a celebration of our commitment to fostering the workforce of tomorrow. This award will also drive Keltbray’s new Graduate programme forward, whilst we also actively engage with young persons in the communities in which we work.”
As reported in our 2022 Annual Report and Accounts, Keltbray had a total of 104 employees on full-time training internships, apprenticeships and graduate development programmes during our 21/22 financial year, of which 65 were on apprenticeships and 39 on graduate development programmes.
Furthermore, our Social Sustainability programmes, aligned with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), have seen:
- 34 new apprentices recruited in FY2022, with four new apprenticeship schemes added to Keltbray curriculum including two Level 7 Master Degree apprenticeships .
- 55 graduates employed on development schemes, plus 10 people on internships and work placements from other organisations
- 684 young people engaged through our outreach work, including educational and community stakeholders
Mark Cameron OBE, Chief Executive at The 5% Club said,
“Our Employer Audit scheme recognises the efforts of all those Employers who invest in their workforce through a broad range of workplace learning schemes. It is fantastic that in these challenging times so many are able to commit to the Employer Audit and to gain the credit for their efforts, and that the majority are striving to expand their schemes over the coming years. Their efforts and achievements are to be applauded.”
Gill Cronin, Director of Operations at The 5% Club added:
“Having seen The Club grow to more than 900 members, I am always impressed at the commitment, drive and energy our members channel into offering “earn and learn” skills opportunities. To now see 20 percent of these members gain Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum accredited membership of The Club is inspiring and demonstrates how these companies are all contributing to the future of skills in our economy.”
Please read our Social Value review from our latest annual report for more on how we support local communities and leave a sustainable legacy, based on the principle that we take every opportunity to leave a community in better shape – socially, environmentally and economically – than when we arrived in it.
For more on our work with graduates, apprenticeships and work experience, please visit our Early Careers page.
Philip Pashley, Group Proposals and Communications Director
Tel: 020 7643 1000
Email: [email protected]
Notes to Editors
Keltbray is a leading UK specialist construction engineering and infrastructure services business, offering a uniquely integrated delivery capability spanning key phases of the client value chain – design management, civil engineering, geotechnical, construction waste management, demolition and decommissioning, piling and reinforced concrete structures, remediation, rail and highways infrastructure, power distribution, transmission and substations, public realm and renewable energy services.
The company was founded in 1976 and is privately owned, directly employs over 2,000 people, and is a key delivery partner to prestigious public and private sector customers, contributing to the development and maintenance of Britain’s rapidly changing economic and social infrastructure.
Keltbray provides certainty of delivery to meet the exacting needs of diverse and complex projects in complex, safety-critical markets. Its professionally accredited teams take pride in delivering safely and sustainably to specification, on time, to budget, and with care for the environment and our communities.
About The 5% Club
- The 5% Club works with UK employers and key influencers to inspire positive action for increased and accessible workplace learning, focused primarily on the number of apprentices, sponsored students and graduates employed. The goal of The 5% Club is to increase the employment and career prospects of today’s youth and equip the UK with the skilled workforce it needs to safeguard Britain’s economy. The 5% Club was launched in 2013.
- Members sign The 5% Club charter. As a member of The 5% Club, employers state they are: Committed to helping the UK’s growth agenda and acknowledge the importance of developing people as both a business and social imperative; Playing their part in addressing youth unemployment and skills shortage; Pledging to work towards having a minimum 5% of their UK workforce enrolled on formalised apprentice, sponsored student and/or graduate development schemes within five years; Measuring and reporting on their progress annually against the above metric in their Corporate Social Responsibility section of the Annual Report and Accounts or equivalent document; Committed to encouraging other employers to participate in the campaign.
- Membership of The 5% Club numbers more than 900 organisations from across a broad range of sectors as well as size of company, including large corporations as well as SMEs. The total number of employees represented is now more than 1.6m, with circa 101,00 in “earn & learn” schemes.
- For more information about The 5% Club https://www.5percentclub.org.uk/